Thursday, May 13, 2010

Country Night Sand Storm

Kuwait + Desert + Sand + Wind = Sand Storm

Not going to lie they are a little rough, and I've only been through little ones. For those back home that don't really know about it let me give you an explination with something you can relate to.

Back in the 1930's down through the center of the US was the dust bowl. It was caused by a horrible drought, high winds, and overly tilled farm land. I remember as a young girl sitting with my great-grandmother, and she would tell us about how in that time "When you drank coffee you had to put the saucer on top to keep the dirt out, but you would still feel grit in your teeth by the time the coffee was gone." I've experianced this a few times growing up in the Oklahoma Panhandle with all the wind but never to that or this extent.

Country night was last night and as usual I attended. I love being there with all the people I know and meeting ones I don't. The music is good and so are the spades games. This week I had to bring my laptop though, because of the fight I got into with a buddy about the song "Life is a Highway." All consisting of whether the song we were listening to was by Rascal Flatts or someone else. Now when it comes to me and my music, if I know enough to start an argument with you about it, it's because I know I'm right. I won't argue very strongly about something that I might know about. On the other hand if I know your wrong I will fight you tooth and nail.

So after proving him wrong and mingling a little bit the wind started to pick up. While the wind reached higher and higher it began lifting more and more sand. It became hard to breath around the time we packed everything up to go home. When I got back to the bay all I could do was thank god for babywipes. Sand seemed to be everywhere. It feels like your skin has been covered in a light material that you can't get off by pushing at it. It has to be wiped and wiped, eventually after nearly 5 baby wipe they stopped finding sand.

When I woke up this morning and walked out the door, everything looked tan. The colors of the world had been dimmed and tainted. It seems as if a vail has been dropped and had begun to surround and devour anything in its path. Black trucks start to blend in with the sand and the people walking around slightly like Darth Vader, completely covered. You eye protection, which you have to wear whenever outside, becomes extremly important. You begin to pray that it will be enough to keep everything in the air out of your eyes. They don't but praying never hurt a situation. Taking a shower also seemed like a useless thing to do by this point, but has to be done regardless. It didn't really matter because I was yet again covered in sand by the time I returned to the bay.

When I left for work it was starting to sprinkel. It still wasn't helping much but if it could just rain for 10 solid minutes, I mean a good heavy rain, it would help out alot.

I hope it clears up before my friends birthday party. I would hate for it to ruin her birthday party. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

Keep up with me

Love,
Clare Kathryn

1 comment:

  1. I see a little of your poetic side coming out in this one. Keep it up. -Travis P

    ReplyDelete